Friday, August 5, 2011

Light at the end of the tunnel

I am starting to feel a little better. And it's earlier than expected so I really can't complain. I'm still worthless in the evenings but productive enough in the morning that it's ok. I called off the church crew (thank you Angela!!) that came to our rescue. People signed up to bring us meals 3 times a week for ONE MONTH! One month! People I didn't even know signed up. People that lived literally on the other side of town signed up. People that have their own busy lives and far better things to do than bring us dinner signed up too. I was so touched!!! All this and I haven't even been to church in 6 weeks b/c I've felt bad. Isn't that awesome??? Yet another one of the 5,000 things I love about our church.  But I woke up Tuesday and realized that was the 2nd day in a row I didn't feel like death, so it was probably time to take over some of my responsibilities. But thank you so much to everyone that brought us dinner! It was so good and SO SO needed. It took some load off Tom and made our nights much easier. I thought I'd share some of the recipes b/c they were good and who doesn't need more recipes?? 

Chicken Spaghetti  (thanks Rosey!)
1 box spaghetti cooked (whole wheat)
2-3 cups cooked chicken (rotisserie chicken)
1/2 - 1 cup shredded cheese (small handful)
1 can cream of mushroom soup (I used Fat Free)
1 onion, chopped
1/2 cup bell pepper, chopped (I buy the bag of diced onion and bell pepper in the freezer section at HEB and then saute it before adding it)
1/3 cup milk
1 jar (2 oz) chopped pimentos
Sliced mushrooms, optional. I never add it because my family doesn't eat mushrooms.

After cooking the spaghetti, transfer to a large bowl and add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Transfer to a casserole dish and sprinkle more cheese, if desired. Bake uncovered at 375 for 30 minutes.

It came with green beans, with a little butter and lots of lemon pepper. SO GOOD. Harris gobbled the spaghetti up, no problem. Usually there's some sort of threat/incentive to make him try something new.

Another one we liked was the Deceptively Delicious chicken nuggets. Harris had no idea what he was eating and scarfed it all down. He even preferred that to the mac/cheese that was on the side, though he ate that too. And as an added bonus, it came from the Iacona kitchen, which just makes everything taste better. I guess I'm going to have to get out that cookbook again and make some things. They really do work, I'd just forgotten about it.

And I made something so good yesterday. 99% of what I make is just ehhhhh, so it's not bragging for me to say it was good.  This spaghetti sauce was delicious, healthy, and easy. I used chicken italian sausage. And it used the crockpot, which I love.
Last one:

This was so good and I love white beans. It will be perfect in the winter. If the winter ever comes to San Antonio.


This is a random post but one other thing to talk about. Since I have been doing NOTHING in the evenings I've had plenty of time to read. North to the Night was really, really good. It had been recommended to me awhile ago but I just never bought it. It's a story of a guy that has sailed all around the world and decides his next adventure should be sailing to the Arctic and getting his boat iced in for the winter. He wants to learn how the Inuit people survive. Crazy, right? But I could hardly put it down. It in no way made me want to winter in the Arctic though. It also made me want to re-read Cry of the Kalahari. This married couple spent 7 years living in the middle of the Kalahari Desert and talks about the animal interaction and how they survived. It's much better than that sentence makes it sound. I read Unbroken earlier this year and loved it, too. Looks like I'm on a non-fiction adventure kick. If you have any recommendations, let me know.

And I'm really missing worship with our church and grateful for KLove right now.



And this verse is so appropriate right now, since I'm clearly getting by only on the grace of the Lord. I mean, what kind of morning sickness is that I function in the morning and fall to pieces in the evening, when my backup arrives? I'm definitely covered in prayer.

But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.  2 Corinthians 12:9

1 comment:

  1. Loved North to the Night! And I'm sorry I never brought you dinner. I had no idea they were doing that so either I completely missed the email or I was left of it (most likely that since I was gone most of July). So I'm sorry! I would have brought you dinner in a heartbeat! I'll be the first to sign up when little Goolsby makes her / his appearance! :) I miss your smile! Hope I can see you soon!!

    ReplyDelete