Thursday, August 11, 2011

Discpline....or lack of

While I was sick, I majorly slacked on disciplining the boys. It has come back to bite me....big-time. Like an animal....they SMELL weakness. And capitalize on it. It's been a total free for all.  Very Lord of the Flies. I ask Harris to do something and he collapses on the floor, wailing that he doesn't want to. I tell Walker to stop doing something and he either just does it faster or ignores me entirely. This week has been a different story and getting back to normal rule enforcement. That means Walker has spent lots of time screaming in his crib and Harris has wilted on the floor in tears several times a day. I think it's been a total shock to their little systems. The look on Walker's face when I made him sit down on the couch instead of climbing all over like he's been doing for 6 weeks was total disbelief. And Harris just keeps telling me, "But I don't want toooooooooo!" as if that should get him off the hook for whatever it is. So it's been a rough week to be a Goolsby boy. But hopefully they'll be back on track soon. I think we're all ready for normalcy. I guess I didn't realize how much energy it actually takes to enforce a standard of behavior. And how fast it flies out the window when you don't!! Those poor things don't know what happened to the "anything goes" life they led in July. If they could remember how great they had it that month they'd probably be talking about July 2011 the rest of their lives.

Harris is starting to get a little suspicious that something is up, I think. We were at Costco and I stopped to look at baby clothes. Harris, in a very snippy tone, said, "Why are you looking at those?!?!?" We haven't told him a baby is on the way yet, since it's so far away. I guess he'll need to know soon. He's been asking for a baby for months so hopefully he'll be excited. He was asking for a baby sister and briefly switched to asking for "another Walker." I'm not sure how much he can understand about a new baby, since he was so little when Walker was born.

Anyway, things are getting back to normal around here and I'm SO thankful to be feeling better.

 Because you are his sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, “Abba,[c] Father.”  So you are no longer a slave, but God’s child; and since you are his child, God has made you also an heir. Galatians 4:6-7

No comments:

Post a Comment