Monday, February 27, 2012

Third Time's a Charm!!!

I was going to write about labor and delivery with Hayes, but changed my mind. He's here and that's the fun part. I will say that St. Lukes was awesome and I loved it. Harris and Walker were born at Methodist and it was a good experience too but I would definitely recommend St Lukes.
So Hayes David Goolsby made his grand entrance at 5:04 pm, 2/17/12, weighing in at 7 lbs, 10oz! He's the biggest of the three.

Ok, there were a couple of things worth mentioning about delivery. As much as Tom and I were convinced it was a boy, we didn't really KNOW. When it came right down to it, we had no idea what we were having. That ended up being really exciting. Strengely, I hadn't even thought about that part of it. The nurses and dr were guessing and it was fun to hear "It's a boy!" and meet our new little guy that way. If anyone is thinking about not finding out, I'd recommend it, at least once. It made delivery a totally different experience. As it turned out, we were right! Good thing, since I had boy clothes hanging in the closet, we only had a boy name, and were in every way unprepared for anything but a little boy.

He was very relaxed when he was born, just laid calmly on me and didn't cry till they took him to weigh him.

Due to various things, none of them medically related, we were in the hospital until Sunday late afternoon. It was sort of a vacation because they basically left us alone, which was PERFECT. We were both able to get some sleep and Hayes was very chill the whole time. It was by far the easiest hospital stay. But I did have to wear a lot of bracelets.


They wanted you to wear these special yellow "No slip" socks the entire time but I rebelled and wore my regular "dangerous and slippery" ones. Like you don't feel icky enough after having a baby, there's no way I was wearing those for three days. Those are NOT my legs, by the way.


Saturday morning my parents brought Harris up to meet Hayes. Walker didn't come because we thought seeing Tom and I but then having to leave us again would just upset him unnecessarily.


Harris was super excited to see Hayes but very cautious about holding him. I don't blame him. I was a little uncertain about holding Harris when he was a newborn, too.

I had explained to Harris that when babies cry that's how they talk. Every time Hayes cries now, Harris wants to know what he's saying. I forgot how literally he takes things. Hayes is not a big crier, but when he does both Harris and Walker are concerned. They immediately take off looking for him and are telling anyone who will listen that Baby Hayes is crying. And every time Walker sees a picture of Hayes, he kisses the camera. Sweet boys. And this is kind of gross but it's funny and I want to remember it. Harris saw a meconium diaper of Hayes' and CANNOT stop talking about it. He's very politically correct about the whole thing. He has told me several times that Hayes' poop is "different" not better or worse, just "different."

Here's the whole crew looking at the newbie.

We had plenty of time in the hospital to sit around and stare at the new little guy. I am not generally in love with the newborn/infant stage, but this time is different. My prayer this entire pregnancy has been to prepare my heart for this new little person and the Lord absolutely did. It's not my nature to embrace all that comes with newborns but I'm really enjoying it this time around. Not me, at all.
The whole transition from two to three has just been so much easier than anticipated. It has been extremely busy. EXTREMELY busy. But that's to be expected and not a big deal. We'll get settled soon. This whole experience has just been really sweet.

Look at this.  Look. At. This.

I love, love, love that sweet little face. Hayes is awesome. :) I'm so thankful for another healthy, precious baby to love.



"The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing."
Zephsnish 3:17

No comments:

Post a Comment