Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Headed to the Library

We are toddler time professionals. I know the right spot to get so Walker's stroller doesn't block anyone, but both boys can still see the action. I know to take goldfish and not cheerios to keep Walker entertained, because he drops the cheerios and they get stomped on, leaving a huge mess, while goldfish are just right for his chubby little fingers to grab. I know to leave the house 30 min before it starts, even though it's a 5 min drive, because "our spot" will get taken and that throws the whole routine out of whack. I know that Harris likes to sit by himself on a rug, until a bigger kid sits too close and then he hustles back to the safety of my lap. I know just when to feed Walker in the morning so he'll be ready to munch while we're there, and how far in advance to get the getting ready process started in the morning so we're out the door on time. I was doing all this on autopilot and realized how much thought and preparation goes into such a simple outing. I don't know if it's the stage my kids are in or if it's just my nature to approach everything with strategic plans that could rival military operations. Other moms look like they just breeze in and out, no big deal. Regardless, Harris had a blast and Walker tolerated it, so that's success in my book. Harris is the first one to make the animal noise/row his boat/shake the sillies out or whatever they are being asked to do. He has so much enthusiasm that other people around kind of giggle at him. It's cute.

Harris is currently obsessed with GoGurt, these squeezable, portable tubes of yogurt. The only problem is he hasn't mastered squeezing it himself, so he eats it for about 5 seconds, then says "I want you to show me how this works!!" and needs help. I have positioned his little fingers and shown him how to get it going over and over again and he just isn't paying attention. This happened NUMEROUS times yesterday and I was just done with it by dinner. In front of Tom, I told Harris that he was on his own with the yogurt because I had already shown him 100 times. Tom takes GoGurt to work with him and just texted me that he needs help with his yogurt. That made me laugh so hard. I never know what he's going to come up with.

Someone needs to explain to Walker that he's only 11 months old and that is technically still an infant. He thinks he is Harris' age.
Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

Anyway, fellowship team/date night is tonight and I'm looking forward to both!

"We know that we have come to know him if we obey his commands. The man who says, “I know him,” but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But if anyone obeys his word, God’s love is truly made complete in him. This is how we know we are in him: Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did." 1 John 2:3-6

3 comments:

  1. I'm sure to all the other Moms, you look like you are breezing through it too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought about the whole planning thing, until now. I do to have my own routine before heading out but never thought of it as one until you said something. The kids love their routines. Like the boys know that when I put my sunglasses on then they need to grab their shoes and they bring them to me...lol its pretty cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, thanks Susan. And you're my first comment, too!

    Renee, that is cute. I wish Harris would grab his shoes when we are clearly walking out the door. He's usually too busy stuffing cars in his pockets.

    ReplyDelete