Sunday, September 5, 2010

Fig Newtons at Church

I LOVE our church. The message today came from the story of the withered fig tree and they passed out fig newtons. Church can be silly. But what I REALLY love about our church is the heart of the people. The message today was something I have been wrestling with for a little while, that you are expected to bear fruit in your life if you truly walk with the Lord. After Tom and I had been at our church for awhile and slowly taking baby steps back to God, we took a step of faith and started tithing. This was HUGE for us, it was sacrificial giving and truly an act of faith, even though the amount wasn't that large. God blessed us richly for that, financially and otherwise. Since then, though we have given more money to things and used a little of our time in service, nothing has been as sacrificial as that act. What God expects from us (the fruit) is more than just working God into your time or budget; as you walk with Him more deeply and grow in your knowledge, you are called to do and give more. Right now, I'm just not doing that. I give what I can afford to, both with time and money, read the Bible on my schedule, but certainly don't miss a workout to do it, etc. So what I'm wrestling with now is what exactly does bearing fruit look like for me and for our family? I know it involves sacrifice. I received some upsetting news on Friday and just didn't know what to do with it. It was somewhat unexpected and I was absolutely heartbroken. I made a small sacrificial gesture to God, not knowing what else to do. He honored it, not in fixing the situation the way I hoped, but in giving me a peace that He is in control, not me. It brought home the point to me that He honors our efforts, however humble they are, if your heart is pure in it.

On that note, I've been reading Bible stories to Harris lately and he is so suspicious of anything involving Baby Jesus. I think he is imagining another baby in the family. He relaxes when I change the subject. God clearly has a sense of humor so I bet He thinks it's funny too.

Completely changing the subject, Walker is walking. I knew when we named him Walker that it was going to be annoying to have to say that. So I've said it and we can move on :) He is so so cute. I forgot how funny they look, careening across the room. Harris was trying to be sweet and gave him a hug while he was taking a step. Poor thing just faceplanted. Harris walked off quickly, I think he was trying to stay out of trouble.
Here is a funny video of the boys playing together. Walker was throwing the remote off his highchair and getting the biggest kick out of Harris picking it up for him.

"Early in the morning, as he was on his way back to the city, he was hungry. Seeing a fig tree by the road, he went up to it but found nothing on it except leaves. Then he said to it, "May you never bear fruit again!" Immediately the tree withered.

When the disciples saw this, they were amazed. "How did the fig tree wither so quickly?" they asked.
Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and it will be done. If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer." Matthew 21:18-22

No comments:

Post a Comment