Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Most Fabulous Weekend EVER


     Words cannot express how much Tom and I enjoyed getting away for a couple of days. We slept till we woke up, had conversations without interruption, lounged around, and just generally enjoyed two days of life not planned around naptimes or potential meltdowns. I think the nicest thing was that we just got to chat. We had the freedom to just enjoy each other's company for the first time in a long time. We are fortunate to be able to get a night out fairly regularly but a couple of hours over dinner doesn't really give you time away from the stress of day to day life. We have to force ourselves not to talk kids/logistics over dinner, whereas a couple of days away and we were able to just chat like normal people. Like the normal people we used to be!  I was really looking forward to it but I underestimated how nice it was going to be. I almost felt like we were different people without the responsibilities of little ones to tackle. Don't get me wrong, we were both really missing those little ones by the time Sunday rolled around, though.

Fredericksburg is a cute town. We ate lunch Friday afternoon, then headed to our room for my naptime. :) It was so nice to crawl into crisp clean sheets that I didn't launder or put on the bed. Also, being in that room made me realize our bedroom is entirely too cluttered. But that's another topic.  Here's where we stayed, LOVED IT. It was just a little place behind someone's house but it was perfect for our needs. It had a kitchenette in the living area with a separate bedroom so we didn't feel cramped and we stocked the fridge with things we like so it felt homey. It overlooked Baron's Creek, which is the picture at the top. I took my camera but didn't take one single pic. Not one.

Anyway, Friday after the most relaxing nap ever, we walked around downtown. checked out all the shops, and went to eat German food. It's a German town, so we thought we'd try something we wouldn't get in San Antonio. I have no idea if it was authentic German food but it was delicious. One nice thing about going on a little trip while pregnant is that I didn't worry for one second about what I was eating. I may regret that when the baby doesn't weigh 14 pounds but I'll worry about that later. Both nights, we got chocolate made from a little bakery and ate way too much of it. By the way, I picked the movie Horrible Bosses to watch Friday night. Oh. My. Goodness. We turned it off just a few minutes in. A little more crude than I could handle. It may have turned out to be funny but I couldn't watch it anymore. We had a backup movie, Something Borrowed. It was cute, typical romantic comedy. Props to Tom for watching it with me. Kate Hudson is in it, love her.

Saturday morning was wonderful, too. We did nothing. We NEVER just turn on the tv at random. NEVER. But that morning we watched DIY shows and just joked around and talked about what we did or didn't like. That sounds like a boring morning but it really wasn't at all. It's a way we could spend time together that we never get to otherwise. And it's fun to be able to hear each other's opinion about things and that led to other discussions that we never would have had. Normally on Saturday mornings we get up and get going because our kids like to hit the ground running, so staying in pj's and chilling for a few hours was luxurious to us. Sat afternoon we saw Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. Whew! It was emotionally heavy but a sweet story about a little boy dealing with the loss of his dad in 9/11. I'd recommend that one if you're looking for something a little different. We did some more walking around Fredericksburg and went to an awesome restaurant Saturday night. It was delicious and the atmosphere was great. Thank you Kristi for the recommendation!! For a few minutes, I was concerned that we weren't going to make our reservation. I was having contractions to the point that I just needed to sit down and breathe for a few minutes. If the baby had come Saturday night.....oh my gosh. I would not have been excited about that! But they stopped.

Sunday morning we didn't have to check out till 11 so we lounged for awhile before heading back to SA. I wanted a real brunch since that is something we wouldn't attempt with kids right now. We were passing Leon Springs Grill so we stopped there. It was perfect! Exactly what I wanted. If anyone needs someplace to go on Sundays, I would recommend it.

this set of scrapbooking scissors for Harris to play with. He hasn't stopped cutting since. He just cuts construction paper at random. Occasionally, he'll stamp something on it or throw a sticker down but all he really wants to do is cut. I never would have imagined that would be such a draw for him. And thankfully Walker isn't interested because he's too little to be trusted with the scissors, I think.

Tom and I were laughing because this weekend was pretty unremarkable, really. We have had plenty of weekends like this, pre-kids. But now that our time isn't our own, it was amazing how much we appreciated something like this. Yay!! Thank you again Mom and Lauren!!

There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; 10 for anyone who enters God’s rest also rests from their works,[a] just as God did from his. 11 Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will perish by following their example of disobedience. 
Hebrews 4:9-11

No comments:

Post a Comment