Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Misunderstood

 
Someone mentioned to me that they were surprised I was working, after my blog post about working moms. Ummm, what are we talking about??? A blog post I wrote was unclear. Reading it now, I see the interpretation but it just didn't occur to me at the time.
Here's what I wrote:
http://jillgoolsby.blogspot.com/2012_06_01_archive.html

Here is the back story. A well meaning friend gave me unsolicited advice about how to deal with one of my kids. It took me out for a few days. I was down on myself about my parenting, feeling extremely unqualified to handle my kids, and just generally unsure of every move I made throughout the day. I knew why I didn't do things the way she suggested. I didn't do them for various reasons that relate to my child's personality and our family dynamics. I just came to the conclusion that there is no one more qualified to make parenting decisions about how to handle their child than the actual parent. Weren't we all much better parents before we had these kids?? :) My point was we all need to stop before making a judgement about how someone else should be raising their kids. And we can rest in the decisions we make as parents, knowing we are doing the very best we can with the knowledge and insight we have into our own child.

This seems like a foolish post, in light of what's happened lately. I wrote it so if I hurt anyone's feelings they would understand my intention had nothing to do with the work/stay home issue.  Please understand that was actually the opposite of where I was going, which was trying to affirm our individual decisions.

We all love our kids and are just so grateful for the chances we have to continue to love on them. I am still shaken at what's happened in small town CT and so sad for these families. SO sad. I have written and deleted a post about this because there are no words. All I can think is that this world is broken and I want Jesus to come quickly.

http://maxlucado.com/read/blog/a-christmas-prayer/

The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me,
because the Lord has anointed me
to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim freedom for the captives
and release from darkness for the prisoners,[a]
2 to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor
and the day of vengeance of our God,
to comfort all who mourn,
3 and provide for those who grieve in Zion—
to bestow on them a crown of beauty
instead of ashes,
the oil of joy
instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness,
a planting of the Lord
for the display of his splendor.

Isaiah 61:1-3


No comments:

Post a Comment