Sunday, December 30, 2012

Christmas 2012

Our first Christmas as a family of five was a good one. We spent great time with family and made memories. This year, more than any other year, I was overwhelmed with how rich my life is. God's blessings are so rich and so undeserved it's just mind-boggling to think about. This holiday season, I spent the two weeks leading up to Christmas really focusing on what a miracle it is that Jesus came and SO ready for his return. Wouldn't it be just like Jesus to come back on Christmas??? This Christmas was heavy with reality that our world is evil. I hope he comes quickly.

In the meantime, I'll be posting too many pictures of my kids. I'm going in chronological order.
My kids met Santa. I had major reservations about this last year but got over it. Harris is the much bigger believer but Walker was the one really into meeting Santa. You would have thought they were old friends. Walker showed him how his truck worked, hopped up on his lap and would have stayed there if there hadn't been a line. Harris only said hi because Santa had a bunch of candy canes behind him.

 
 

Walker's face in the pic of him alone is so sweet. The one of all 3 of them is the best we were going to do. Ms. Claus looks like she's getting a workout holding little Hayes.

Here's all 3 heading to Christmas service at church. What I  love about this is Walker's face. He was trying to be cooperative. He was saying "SMILLLLLLLE" through his clenched teeth. And Hayes' beret. That baby made my day by keeping it on for awhile. There may or may not have been training sessions to acclimate him to that hat.


Tom got an inflatable Santa and strung some random lights on the our teensy trees. The boys couldn't have been more impressed and there was clapping if we pulled in the driveway after dark. They "helped" Tom string the lights.


Here they are checking out a toy catalogue, wondering what Santa might bring.



I found a random felt thing on Etsy and it was worth the investment. It would be easy to make on your own but the odds of me dragging 3 kids to a craft store and then cutting and gluing all that felt are pretty slim. You told part of the story each night, re-telling the previous nights, and added an object. Harris played with it all the time and it was a great starting point for conversations. Walker wasn't so into it but he will be soon.


We spent a few days at a lakehouse with family and the boys loved it. It's such a nice getaway and being in a different environment just changes the whole vibe.

They ran outside.

They opened presents.

They did the park.

They slept.


They even hit Buc'ees. Aimee, this pic is for you!!

Yes, they were in their pajamas. We were going to drive through a Christmas light display but the line was out of control.

Hayes got a walker (THANK YOU BROOKE) and was all over the place. I don't know what we did before he had that thing. He follows the older two everywhere and gets into everything he can. He loves it. It even has a tray to throw some food on so he can eat while he's running through the house. It may be hard to tell but he likes his food.


We just had such good family time. Walker is really growing up. Every night when I put him to bed I tell him I love him and he always says. "Too" in a small little voice. The other night I told him that and he said, "I love you too mom!!" It was so precious to hear my sweet boy tell me that but a little sad at the same time. He's growing up. He got a good report at church today for the first time EVER. Yahoo! He slept in a bed with no problems and understood that he had to stay in it until we got him out. That had previously been disasterous. He's maturing.
Harris grasped Christmas this year. He could parrot back an answer before but I think this year he really did get that Christmas was about Jesus. He was so excited about his own gifts but equally excited on Walker's behalf for his gifts. It was just a joy to see it all through 5 year old eyes. Harris narrates when he's excited so we got a taste of all his emotions :)
Hayser just hung out and made everyone smile. Love these three and I'm still DYING over the pj's.


Christmas was what it should be. A time to celebrate the birth of Christ and spend time with family.

Merry Christmas!!

"For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace." Isaiah 9:6

No comments:

Post a Comment