Friday, March 23, 2012

I got nothin'

I usually know what I want to write about when I sit down to blog. Not today. I don't know what I'd like to say but felt like writing anyway. I looked through the recent pics on my camera for inspiration. Can't go wrong with this one.

I can't say enough how much I'm enjoying this little guy. Yesterday the older two were napping and Hayes just wanted to be held. So I rocked with him and just snuggled him in close for a good two hours. We both liked it. He's already lost his newborn look and is on the verge of grinning at us, I think. He's five weeks old and before we know it we'll be celebrating his first birthday and marveling at how fast a year went. I just want to soak up his baby-ness.

And I found two pictures that reminded me exactly why I like to blog. Harris wanted to sit next to Hayes the other day so they could both "listen to a story." Here they are, both listening.

Walker was napping, fyi, so that's what he's not pictured. Anyway, so I was reading this page. Take a look at all that's going on in this pic.

Lots of action. When I was reading this page and showing the pic, Harris stopped to comment on what was happening to the mommy and thought her ear might hurt. Do you see the mom with two kids on her lap getting her ear mangled by a screaming baby??
Out of all the action in the pic, that's what Harris noticed and commented on. He is such a mini-Tom. I love that he's compassionate enough to notice something like that at the ripe old age of four. One fun thing about this age is that he's old enough to articulate exactly what he's thinking. The other day he used the words "actually" and "humongous" in the same sentence. Sometimes it's like talking to an adult. Until he says something about poop.

I posted this devotional on facebook earlier this week but I'm still thinking about it. If you don't go read the whole thing, it's talking about the miracle at the wedding, where Jesus turned water to wine. The event planner, who was responsible for every detail, didn't even know what had happened and thought the groom had supplied the wine. He had no idea what was going on behind the scenes. The point is that Jesus gives grace and miracles even if we don't know where they came from or attribute them to the right source. It made me really want to examine my life and see what blessings I've been overlooking.  So, my prayer is that I'll see the hand of the giver more in the everyday blessings that we have. The story of water to wine wasn't a miracle of raising someone from the dead or an incident that had a huge eternal impact. This was just making a wedding day more special, and Jesus cared enough to do it. He's in the everyday as much as he's in the "burning bush" moments and I want to have eyes to see that.

One huge blessing right now is our babysitter. She loves our boys and knows them better than anyone besides Tom and me. Before I quit work, it made no sense to me why a stay at home mom would require help during the day. Wow, I definitely understand it now! It's just 9 hours/week but it's the difference between surviving each day vs enjoying this time with my kids. The other day I took Walker to the park for some 1:1 time and we both had a blast. We played with a basketball and just goofed around and I think he liked the time with just me. There's no way that would have happened in the midst of taking care of two others. I wish I'd had my phone to record his b-ball skills. Every single time he tried to throw the ball it bounced off his forehead but that didn't deter him at all. He would just toss it, then immediately duck and cover his head with his short little arms. I shot a basket and it bounced off the rim and hit him squarely in the head. He giggled. Bless his heart, he takes a beating and just keeps on going.

Today we took all 3 to the park and everyone had fun and enjoyed the perfect weather. I could have done it alone but it would have been very stressful for me, which makes things tense for the boys too. Walker wanted to run on the paths, while Harris had to visit the porta potty, and Hayes has to be drug around in his infant seat, so it's just a lot to coordinate at the same time. And after dragging Hayes all the way to the porta potty for Harris, he took one look at it and said, "No thanks, I'm fine. Can you close the lid? This is GROSS." I don't blame him. It also helps to have someone to watch Harris and Walker while I feed Hayes.  I think God designed nursing, as hard as it can be, to give the mother time to relax and focus on nothing but the baby. Why else would you sit down for 30 minutes out of every 3 hours to do nothing productive? You just wouldn't. I'm trying to view that time as a gift rather than an inconvenience and using it to pray over my kids instead of play on the Internet.

However, I did watch the entire series of Downton Abbeytv :) If anyone would like to discuss the Crawleys and Granthams, please call me.

And since there are no pictures of Walker, I'm posting the only one I have. He is such a busy little person that he got tired of waiting the nanosecond it took my camera to click on and ran off.
I just feel the need to prove that he gets photographed too.

Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes
and clever in their own sight.

Isaiah 5:21

No comments:

Post a Comment