Thursday, May 10, 2012


We took our circus on the road a couple of weeks ago and went to visit family and friends in Houston. I think this was the first time we'd ever stayed in a hotel with two kids, much less three. It experience. They loved it and made themselves right at home.

However, at bedtime, we set poor Walker up for failure. He was overtired, slightly delirious, and has never slept out of his crib. We tossed him in bed with Harris and hoped for the best. It was, predictably, a disaster.
This was taken about 10:30. Their bedtime is 8 pm, sharp.

After bravely fighting the fight, Tom finally moved Walker to a crib. He normally goes to sleep just fine but since he'd tasted freedom, he didn't want to give it up. The poor thing finally dozed off sometime after midnight. They woke up at the crack of dawn and raided the breakfast buffet at our hotel NUMEROUS times. Then we took them to a park and lunch, where we stayed about an hour past their nap time. All 3 were screaming by the time we loaded up to head home. Not 5 minutes into the drive this is what we saw.

It was glorious.

We all had a fun trip. We spent time with Tom's side of the family and got to introduce Hayes around. Tom's great-aunt spent the morning at the park with us and VERY reluctantly allowed me to take a picture of her. I wanted one with all 3 kids but it was full-on meltdown mode by the time I tried to do it so only Hayes is in the picture. There's something nice about the immobile stage.

Doesn't she look beautiful?!?!?!?? So good to see "our Houston fam" as we call them. We also spent time with Tom's cousins but I didn't get a pic. They were nice enough to give up their Saturdays and go to Chik-fil-la to let our people run off some energy. We stayed till Walker started spinning in circles and looking extra loopy. One of Tom's cousins had a friend that lived in San Antonio for awhile and we met them on a "blind date." We ended up becoming great friends and have made lots of trips back and forth since they moved back to Houston a couple of years ago. We spent time with them, too. The kids ran around like crazy people.

Harris LOVES going to their house and has always been buddies with "Miss Aimee." She convinved him to walk into the ocean for the first time and talked him into the kiddie pool at Schlitterbahn. She also talked him into sleeping at their house even though there was a deer head mounted on the wall. Under pressure, she told him, "That's just Deerie, if you wake up in the middle of the night, just say, Hi Deerie!" He giggled and went to sleep, no big deal. Nicely done, Aimee.

Our two year olds get along well, thankfully.

Check out the dog in this pic. I think she likes bubbles even more than the kids do.

We tried to line the kiddos up on the swing to take a pic but only one was cooperating. Thanks, girlfriend!

Hayes did pretty well. He just goes wherever and rolls with it. He's getting so big! His favorite thing right now is what we call his "disco ball."

The thing in the middle lights up and plays music and he is mesmerized by it. He just lays under there wiggling around and never taking his eyes off of it. He's such a cute little guy!!

Even when he's upset, he is so darn cute!

I could just EAT. HIM. UP. That's a non-biased opinion, obviously.

So something scary but great happened to us a couple of weeks ago. It's too awesome of a story not to share. Tom was taking Harris to school and got in a car accident at a notoriously bad intersection. It totaled Tom's car but he and Harris were completely fine. The thing that made this so awesome is Harris' reaction. He's a somewhat timid, cautious, kid. He makes comments like, "That looks dangerous" and "I could get hurt doing that." The power went out a couple of nights ago and he's still talking about how he didn't like it and saying it was scary. So I fully expected him to be traumatized  by the accident and scared to get in the car. He wasn't one little bit. I went to pick them up and was asking him questions about it and asked if he was scared. He told me Jesus was in his heart and protected him. Every time I would come back to anything surrounding how he felt about the accident that's what he would tell me. Also, Tom got a text that same morning from a friend saying that Tom was on his heart that day and he'd been praying for him and were we ok. That has literally NEVER happened. I have no doubt that they were divinely protected. Every single thing surrounding this accident has been nothing short of incredible, really. Even the tow truck driver that came to get the car was a strong Christian and went beyond the call of duty to help us out. It was a very scary thing but it's been a good reminder to drive extra carefully and make sure kids are always buckled in car seats properly. And an even better reminder that the Lord is so faithful in all things. I'm so, so thankful.

Be strong and of good courage, do not fear nor be afraid of them; for the LORD your God, He is the One who goes with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you.
Deut: 31:6

No comments:

Post a Comment