Friday, October 23, 2015

Walker turns six!

Walker, I cannot believe how far you've come!



You are doing so well in kindergarten that your teacher told me that you "do not stick out to her as different." While you will always make your mark with your personality, she was saying you do not have overtly special needs. You do not require significantly more support to be successful. You have worked SO HARD in all your therapies the past two years and it's paying off. You love your school and are happy to go each day. You told me today that your favorite part of the day was playing with all your new friends. I'm just blown away by how you are embracing this new adventure and doing so well. 



You now are officially social. Too much involves retreat to solitary Lego playing but you crave interaction each day, especially with Harris. You love him dearly and enjoy spending time creating stories with your Lego people. He does too because I heard him proudly explaining to a friend what you two liked to do with a Lego scene you had built together. One of my prayers when I found out we were having a second little boy is that you would be best friends and it's definitely being answered. 



You are as sweet as you can be. I help out at your school with lunch once/week. When I leave, you always thank me for coming and give me a big kiss on the cheek. It could not possibly be any sweeter. Out of the blue, you told Mimi and KB that you were glad they came to visit us. I don't think I'll ever quite get over these little things from you because they seemed at one point to be unattainable.
You are transparent in your actions and that touches people. You are not concerned with what other people think and speak what is on your heart. Of all the things that have emerged from you the past couple of years, I think that is my favorite. 


One comment that I've heard several times from different therapists is that you "respond well to therapy." I don't know why you respond so well and others don't. Some kids that started where you started aren't doing nearly as well as you are. I want you to know that because it makes me profoundly grateful. Your life, and our family dynamic, could look very different right now. While I know there would be blessing in that as well, I'm so thankful for the progress you've made and the trajectory you are on.



You started this year to ask questions about Caroline. When she came home you were three and completely in your own world. It didn't register with you until this year that she has people she calls her brothers and sisters in other families. I was explaining it to you, how God grows families in different ways and how she would always be your sister and also the sister of kids in different families, and how that happened. You thought about it for a minute and then said "I'm glad you're a Goolsby, Caroline." You speak so openly yet infrequently that when you do say something, people know you are sincere. You made Caroline's day with your simple, sweet statement.



I just couldn't be any more proud of the sweet, funny, brave little person that you are. I love to hang out with you and hear the way you see the world. Happy birthday, sweet Walker!


"And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ."
Phil 1:6


No comments:

Post a Comment