Friday, December 20, 2013

Life~

My blogging has been put on the backburner and I'm trying to get back into the swing of it. We'll see how this goes.

I don't even think I blogged about our Halloween. Everyone was a little under the weather so we tried to keep it low key. At the end of the night Harris was asking if we could please just go home, so I guess it wasn't quite low key enough. I really didn't want to skip trick or treating since we had a first timer and she was SO excited. Here they are at the beginning. Everyone is happy......ready to go.




At the time, I thought we started trick or treating too early because several houses on our street didn't answer their doors. Looking at this picture I'm thinking they were just hiding from us. We eventually teamed up with some neighbors and could no longer be denied. 

We went to visit Tom at work that morning because I'd promised them a Halloween treat and then it fell through. They really were not feeling too hot so we kept our stay brief and tried not to spread our germs. True to form, Walker, who dresses up almost everyday, refused to dress up on Halloween. There is no way I was fighting that battle.

We had such a nice Thanksgiving. We had a leisurely day around the house. Well, as leisurely as it can be with four children. Later that evening we went to Caroline's sister's house. It's so odd to think we didn't know these people at Thanksgiving last year and now consider that group our family. What a difference a year makes!

                                      
Beret.....check. 
Cowboy boots......check.
Sassy stance........check. 
Biggest smile in texas.........check. 
I love that boy.


                                 

Walker had the most Thanksgiving spirit of all of us. 

Then Harris turned 6 and took his first solo plane ride to visit his Mimi. He has flown quite a bit and knows the ropes so he was all ready for his adventure. 
                                      

                                
 
He couldn't possibly have had more fun. He needed something that was only about him and this was perfect.

We visited Santa. It was Caroline's first time and she was so excited. Walker, who was elated last year, didn't want near him this year.

                                   

                                  

Santa didn't really take no for an answer, though.

I took the big kids to see The Nutcracker, which was a great experience. The theater it's in is so neat and they had a special kids performance. I'm looking forward to next year already.

Walker made many, many crowns. He had a favorite that he wore everywhere for a couple of weeks.
                                    

                                    

                              

Walker also has been joining us for "Walker Goolsby school." The little person who rejected all group/organized activities for the first four years of his life is coming around. I love it!


He also helped make cookies. They alllllllll helped.

I went from one helper to four. Walker is just recently interested, Hayes is just recently able, and Caroline is new on the scene. It's different having eight little hands all of a sudden but so sweet. Hayes could not be any more proud when it's his turn to dump something in. He thinks he is so big! I have to use smaller measuring spoons so everyone gets a turn. That one tsp of salt takes quite awhile to dump when it's measured out in 1/4 increments and "assisted" into the bowl by all those little people.

I wanted to write this before Christmas because I know that's a post in and of itself. I'm ready for Jesus to come. I read a devotional discussing the good news/bad news inherent in the message that Jesus came to save people from their sins. Good news: your Savior came! Bad news: you require a Savior! This past six months has left me reeling and even more aware that I need a Savior. I need Jesus and am yearning to celebrate his birth. Life has been so busy. I've been working part time for my old company (which is over) and then I got sick, and I have four (?!?!?!) kids and homeschool two of them and the days are passing. I just want to breathe and hear the Christmas story and ponder what a miracle Christmas is. Emmanuel, God is with us. 

God has given me a new perspective on what our adoption cost and a new appreciation for what it means to see our mess down here and choose to get involved. Not just involved....he sent his SON. I nearly had a panic attack sending my son to Houston to people that adore him and would protect him at any cost. I don't love enough to send my son to anything less than that. But God does. This Advent, more than any other, I am left knowing I have nothing to offer a newborn King and am grateful He came anyway.

"And the shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all they had heard and seen, as it had been told them."
Luke 2:20

I've heard the same news the shepherds did, and so much more. As I return to my routine, just as they did, I am praying that I'll be glorifying and praising God as well.  But before it is back to normal life, I want these next few days to be a time to pause and re-orient my compass to focus on the one who gives life.  

For my eyes have seen your salvation,
 which you have prepared in the sight of all nations: 
a light for revelation to the Gentiles, 
and the glory of your people Israel.”
 (Luke 2:30-32 NIV)





No comments:

Post a Comment