Monday, September 16, 2013

Walker Goolsby is 4!

Walker.
Walker, Walker, Walker.


I think this story sums you up right now. You were left unsupervised for a few minutes while Hayes was put down for a nap. You used that time to track down the wrapped birthday presents you'd seen, carry them all into your room, close the door, and rip into them! Only you!! I so wish we had a picture of the carnage!

You and Caroline had a joint party, so you were sitting in front of your cake while we sang to Caroline. You decided to lean forward and take a bite out of it while we were focused on singing to Caroline. Please notice your teeth are blue in the picture above. :)


These stories make me smile so much because last year you had no idea it was your birthday. You didn't care to open presents. We basically had to rip paper off for you, then chase you down and show you that there was something train related in there for you to be interested. Then, you didn't want anyone else to be involved in playing with your toys with you.  This last year, you've blossomed. Numerous times a day you ask me to come play with you. Or sit by you. When you want us to sit together you put our chairs so close they are touching. After you spent so much time wanting to be alone, I'll move mountains to sit down and play with you. :)


 
You are still you. Or maybe you are Batman. Either way, you have retained all the awesome qualities you had when you spent life in your own world. You are your own man. God instilled that independence in you and will use it for His glory. You do what you set your mind on, regardless of what everyone else is doing. There can be a mob mentality in this house at times, with 4 kids, close in age. You're above that. Everyone else might want to go outside, but if you don't, it doesn't bother you one bit to stay inside and go on about your business. I particularly love that about you. I still say our job as parents is to teach you to use your powers for good.
 
 
You are learning how to handle your needs. Too many people and too much action makes you crazy. Amen, brother, because it makes me crazy too. You have the good sense to start requesting ""POTTY, BOOK, BED!" because you know that means time alone in your room to unwind. As an adult, I still struggle with doing things that are fun but knowing I should really just go with potty, book, bed. It's a great life skill to develop at a young age to know when enough is enough.
 
Buddy, we were so, so worried about you. You developed on your own schedule. Well, on God's schedule but it didn't match what is "normal." You spent all of your 2's and probably half of your 3's in a world of your own making. You didn't invite anyone else there and didn't leave that world to be with the rest of us. You just built train tracks and wouldn't tolerate anyone else getting too close. The only reason you ever allowed us to read to you was because you knew it delayed bedtime. Then, you would repeat the story back EXACTLY the way we read it to you, but with absolutely no comprehension. You didn't smile in response to someone smiling at you. You only smiled if you were in motion or if someone fell down. Now, you just smile because you're happy. Or you smile because I smile at you. It warms my heart when you give me a big toothy grin that comes straight from your heart. There's nothing better than a "Walker Goolsby Smile." I put that in quotes because that is how you refer to your things. Your water bottle is "Walker Goolsby blue water." If I give you something you'll ask, "Is this for Walker Goolsby?" Someone helped Daddy take your presents to the car at your birthday party and you thought they were taking them away. You were devastated and said, "Those are WALKER GOOLSBY PRESENTS!"
 

 
 At 4, you are fully present, and ready to engage. And it is so much fun! You have an active imagination.  I love that you take me to all these fun places. You come out of your room each day and I'm never sure who I'm talking to. It might be Batman, Emperor Zurg, or Captain Hook. Or possibly Officer Goolsby. You have an affinity for bad guys but you also love to be the police.  Your innate sense of adventure is contagious. You are now the one leading the charge to "catch tick tock crock" or to "capture the bad guys." You have the rest of us sneaking around the yard and jumping out at things when you talk us through your vision.

 
A walk is never just a walk with you. It's always an adventure. :)  I still am in awe when you jump into games with your brother and sister. You NEVER would have done that at this time last year and I wondered if you ever would. Here you all are playing "vacation." I think you should call it "drag out everything you own," but vacation is fine, I guess.
 
 
I cannot believe you were physically capable of pushing these two beefcakes.
 

You've stopped napping every day but run out of steam before the day is done. Every time you yawn, you will now say, "I'm not tired! Of course I'm not," because when you proclaim that you aren't tired that's always my response. Little guy, you have no idea how funny you are.


 
You started preschool and are doing great. After spending the first four days playing alone in your own territory, you started interacting with the other kids. Your teacher called to tell me that you turned a corner in the way you approached the environment. You even gave a wink at the little girl sitting next to you. A wink!! I don't even know what to say about that.
 
 
My sweet boy, you have a unique personality. You are independent. You are smart. You're engaging and adventurous.  You love to play make believe but can build legos with the best of them. I've never met anyone quite like you. God has something set aside just for you and he gave you this special set of gifts to accomplish it.
Walker, I love you so much!! You make my days brighter and I'm so thankful to be your mommy! You bring joy and laughter to our whole family. I am so excited to see what this year holds for you, sweet boy!!
 
For you formed my inward parts;
you knitted me together in my mother's womb.
 I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
Wonderful are your works;
my soul knows it very well.
 My frame was not hidden from you,
when I was being made in secret,
intricately woven in the depths of the earth.
 Your eyes saw my unformed substance;
in your book were written, every one of them,
the days that were formed for me,
when as yet there was none of them.
Psalm 139:13-16
 

2 comments: